A fishing line deer fence is economical yet effective. The design is extremely simple and anybody with basic DIY experience will be able to create it. Are you looking for ideas to create a fishing line deer fence? Well, here goes a brief for you.
Things that you will need:
- 5 fence T-posts of 8 ft
- 15 lb fishing line, preferably purple or dark blue line
- Your basic DIY skills
There is a reason why purple or dark blue line is suggested. It’s because a deer can recognize these colors pretty well. So, if they can see these colors from a distance, they will understand there is a fence ahead. As a result they will stay from your property. However, if you don’t get lines in these colors, don’t worry. Other colors would work well too. The bottom-line is to construct a sturdy fence for a strong barrier. And for that, you have to be really careful with the installation part which has been discussed below.
Steps to install the deer fence
- Push your posts right into ground of your garden. Your post driver will be handy here for the push.
- Now, take fishing line and tie it at a corner. It should be tied 1 foot off ground. Pull it tightly (not too tight though) while you approach to next post.
- Then, cut that line & tie it off properly. The knot should be strong as well as be able to bounce back while stretched.
- Continue tying fishing line in between two post sets. Your line runs will be something like- 1 foot, 2 feet, 3 feet, 4 feet and finally 5 feet. It will reward you with quite a tight fence and hence better protection against a hungry deer.
- And you are done.